Sunday, May 22, 2011

Murder By Death in barrels

Filling a barrel
stacked and lookin' pretty















Just recently I had the pleasure of acquiring a handful of bourbon barrels from Port/Lost Abbey Brewing. The barrels were originally used by Heaven Hill to age their bourbon in. After that Port used them to transform their Old Viscosity into Older Viscosity. Now that they are in my possession they have once again been filled with stout. Last year I had brewed a stout named after the band Murder By Death. It was a 10.4% imperial stout that was very well received. This year, with a few minor tweaks, it is back in action. Among the changes to the original recipe is the use of oats and rye malt to build a little extra body (the original utilized wheat) and being aged in bourbon barrels. Murder By Death Stout should be ready for an October release giving it six months to take on some of the bourbon and American oak character of these barrels.

9 comments:

  1. Definitely awesome, I want...no need some

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely and totally awesome! I'm going to need some of that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this just made my YEAR! I'm located in NY (Westchester) - hope it makes its way here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is all made at a brew pub that I run in Vista, Ca. (just north of San Diego.) We are pretty much limited to only sales in the pub itself due to our license. Hopefully there will be a time where this beer can be made and shipped on a much larger scale. As it is we should have about 18 kegs in October

    ReplyDelete
  5. I represent a man who is willing to pay an unreasonable sum for one cask of Murder by Death. Please let me know how we can make this happen. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel free to contact me buckleybrau @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go to backstreet on the first Tue of every month. I think I met you on your bday last year. Was talking to you about my cellar and showing you pics on my phone.

    So, how long you thinking this will be in the barrels? - @mikedashg

    ReplyDelete
  8. This batch will have spent 5 months in barrels. We are actually going to be tapping them this Sunday, the 25th.

    ReplyDelete